- From: "Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)" <zeeshanak gnome org>
- To: maps-list gnome org, geoclue lists freedesktop org
- Cc: gnome-announce-list gnome org
- Subject: Introducing Geoclue2
- Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 03:31:09 +0300
Here is the first release of the re-write of geoclue. The plan is
to use various sources to determine your location as best as possible:
* GPS(A) receiver
* 3G modem
* Wi-Fi-based positioning system
* IP address geolocation
Unlike geoclue, the plan is to
a. have one simple D-Bus service that abstracts all geolocation
backends rather than a collection of services.
b. give users control over which applications they want to allow
knowing their location.
However project is in the early stages of development and hence
lacking essential features. Currently it can only determine your
location based on your IP (i-e city-level accuracy) and does not have
any permission control.
More on rationale for the re-write here:
Geoclue is licensed under GNU LGPLv2+.
Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
] [Thread Prev