Release Cogl 1.15.6 (snapshot)

Good news, everyone!

A new Cogl snapshot (1.15.6) is now available:

LATEST NEWS

Cogl 1.15.6                                                        2013-08-19

  • List of changes since Cogl 1.15.4

  » Fixed runtime selection of egl-kms backend
  » Split out the CoglPath api in-line with cogl master to reduce
    divergence, but updated to not break the 1.x API/ABI
  » Reverted the semantic change to cogl_offscreen_new_to_texture to
    make it synchronously allocate as it did in cogl-1.14. A
    replacement cogl_offscreen_new_with_texture api has been
    introduced to support the asynchronous allocation behaviour
    required to allow configuration of a framebuffer before
    allocation.
  » Fixed a problem with binding attribute locations with desktop GL
    drivers, required to work with the latest Mesa.
  » Some configure.ac documentation fixes
  » In cogl-gst we make sure to only emit the "pipeline-ready" signal
    once the new textures have actually been uploaded.
  » Various MSVC build fixes

  Note: we took some care to try and avoid breaking the ABI and
  changing the soname relative to the last 1.15.4 snapshot.

  • Gnome Bugzilla bugs closed since 1.15.4:

  #703500 - 49 Conform Tests Regressed (FAIL)
  #703174 - Crash when switching user with gnome 3.8 using nvidia drivers
  #705836 - egl-kms: set the EGL_PLATFORM explicitly
  #705591 - SIGSEGV in various conformance tests on wayland

Many thanks to:

  Chun-wei Fan
  Neil Roberts
  Robert Bragg
  Adel Gadllah
  Fan Chun-wei
  Giovanni Campagna
  Lionel Landwerlin

FETCHING THE RELEASE

Tarballs can be downloaded from:

  http://download.gnome.org/sources/cogl/1.15/

SHA256 Checksum:

44e38c44c986a6e31d81e4d3d6f477734b844247383ce6d9c4a7737afd81bd85
cogl-1.15.6.tar.bz2

Additionally, a git clone of the source tree:
  git clone git://git.gnome.org/cogl

will include a signed 1.15.6 tag which points to a commit named:
  0c40013a8d5b4dcf4a2654c05722f5d6f574f011

which can be verified with:
  git verify-tag 1.15.6

and can be checked out with a command such as:
  git checkout -b build 1.15.6

DESCRIPTION

Cogl is a small open source library for using 3D graphics hardware for
rendering. The API departs from the flat state machine style of OpenGL and is
designed to make it easy to write orthogonal components that can render without
stepping on each others toes.

As well as aiming for a nice API, we think having a single library as opposed
to an API specification like OpenGL has a few advantages too; like being
able to paper over the inconsistencies/bugs of different OpenGL
implementations in a centralized place, not to mention the myriad of OpenGL
extensions. It also means we are in a better position to provide utility
APIs that help software developers since they only need to be implemented
once and there is no risk of inconsistency between implementations.

Having other backends, besides OpenGL, such as drm, Gallium or D3D are
options we are interested in for the future.

REQUIREMENTS

Cogl currently only requires:

  • OpenGL ≥ 1.3 (or 1.2 + multitexturing), or OpenGL ES 2.0 (or 1.1)
  • GLX, AGL, WGL or an EGL implementation

Cogl also has optional dependencies:

  • GLib ≥ 2.32.0
     - for gtype integration
  • GDK-Pixbuf ≥ 2.0
     - for image loading
  • Cairo ≥ 1.10
     - for debugging texture atlasing (debug builds only)

The optional Cogl Pango library requires:
  • Cairo ≥ 1.10
  • PangoCairo ≥ 1.20

The optional Cogl GStreamer library requires:

  • GStreamer 1.0

On X11, Cogl depends on the following extensions

  • XComposite ≥ 0.4
  • XDamage
  • XExt
  • XFixes ≥ 3

For the Wayland backend, Cogl requires:
  • Wayland ≥ 1.0.0

When running with OpenGL, Cogl requires at least version 1.3
or 1.2 with the multitexturing extension. However to build Cogl
you will need the latest GL headers which can be obtained from:

  http://www.khronos.org

If you are building the API reference you will also need:

  • GTK-Doc ≥ 1.13

If you are building the additional documentation you will also need:

  • xsltproc
  • jw (optional, for generating PDFs)

If you are building the Introspection data you will also need:

  • GObject-Introspection ≥ 0.9.5

GObject-Introspection is available from:

  git://git.gnome.org/gobject-introspection

If you want support for profiling Cogl you will also need:

  • UProf ≥ 0.3

UProf is available from:

  git://github.com/rib/UProf.git

DOCUMENTATION

The 1.x stable API is documented here:
  http://developer.gnome.org/cogl/stable/
The 1.x development API is documented here:
  http://developer.gnome.org/cogl/1.15
The experimental 2.0 API is documented here:
  http://cogl3d.org/cogl2-reference/

RELEASE NOTES
  - This is a development snapshot release so there are not API or ABI stability
    guarantees at this point for new APIs since the last stable release.

  - This Cogl release exports a 1.x API (For third-party Clutter
    developers to write custom actors) and an experimental 2.0 API which
    allows standalone application development.

  - Internally Clutter depends on the Cogl 2.0 experimental API so we maintain
    runtime compatibility between the 1.x API and experimental 2.0 APIs, which
    means developers can mix-and-match their use of the APIs in the same
    process.  API selection is done per-file by including a line like: '#define
    COGL_ENABLE_EXPERIMENTAL_2_0_API' before including cogl.h or clutter.h.

  - We recommend using the 2.0 API if you don't mind updating your code once in
    a while as this API evolves and stabilizes. We promise not to break the 2.0
    API during a 1.x stable cycle and hope that will encourage people to
    experiment with it and give critical feedback! For example after releasing
    1.8, the 2.0 API will be stable for 1.8.1, 1.8.2, 1.8.3 etc, but may update
    for 1.9/1.10.

  - Because we export the 1.x and 2.0 APIs from one libcogl.so the library
    versioning, and thus ABI, can only be considered as stable as our 2.0 API -
    i.e. during a stable release 1.x cycle.

  - Please report bugs using the Cogl Bugzilla product, at:
    http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=cogl