ANNOUNCE: GENIUS 1.0.15 the "Midwest again" release

Genius is a general purpose calculator with many advanced capabilities.
To find out more go to:
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

A new genius for your computing pleasure.  I haven't really done much genius
work recently, but some annoying bugs are fixed.  Also since we twiddled with
some commutative algebra in a recent paper (http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.4082),
I added some functions which nobody is likely to ever use but me.
But mainly, negative rational powers now work!  Yay!  And zooming graphs
with the mouse works better.

In any case, Genius is one of the oldest GNOME projects, it has been the
original GNOME calculator before I got wild ideas about it doing absolutely
everything.  It is programmable, has a powerful language and handles many fun
features including support for matrices, rational numbers, and nice 2D and 3D
plotting.  The GUI version requires GNOME2 (at least glib2 if you don't want
a GUI) a recent enough GMP library and the MPFR library.  You can still use
the command line version if you prefer non-gui interface.

Here are the news in 1.0.15:

* New functions CurrentTime, MacaulayRep, MacaulayLowerOperator, MacaulayBound.
* Fix rational powers of negative numbers, and exact negative rational powers.
* Fix zooming in graphs using the mouse when the functions take long to run
* Accept log instead of ln for symbolic derivative when used with only
  one parameter
* Translation updates (Maria Majadas, Juan Matias Olmos, Daniel Mustieles,
  Gustavo Jasso, Jiro Matsuawa, Marek Cernocky, Bruno Brouard, Matej Urbanic,
  Mario Blattermann, Juan Carlos Vallejo Lopez, Christian Kirbach, Jorge
  Gonzales, Martin Strebotnjak, Wolfgang Stoggl, Kjartan Maraas, Fram Dieguez,
  Joe Hansen, Daniel Serbanescu)

* For some of the changes the author (Jiri) was partially supported by
  NSF grant DMS 0900885 and the University of Wisconsin-Madison

http://download.gnome.org/sources/genius/1.0/
ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/genius/
http://www.jirka.org/genius.html

Genius is in Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, GARNOME, OpenSUSE, and probably other
distribution repositories, so check those.  Usually you want to install two
packages: genius and gnome-genius (perhaps also gnome-common on some
distros).  Of course, it will be a little bit before this version hits those
servers ...

Have fun,

Jiri

--