[ANNOUNCE] Vala 0.1.7 - Compiler for the GObject type system
- From: Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch>
- To: vala-list gnome org
- Cc: gnome-announce-list gnome org
- Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Vala 0.1.7 - Compiler for the GObject type system
- Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:38:20 +0100
We are pleased to announce version 0.1.7 of Vala, a compiler for the
GObject type system.
Vala 0.1.7 is now available for download at:
Changes since 0.1.6
* Support private property accessors.
* Support default values for properties.
* Improve support for array length and delegate target parameters.
* Improve delegate and signal handler support.
* Introduce new syntax to declare errordomains.
* Improve exception support.
* Report errors for missing return statements.
* Report warnings for unreachable code.
* Improve support for generic types.
* Support pointer member access and pointer element access.
* Support pointer arithmetic.
* Add --quiet commandline option (Emmanuele Bassi)
* Add WebKit bindings.
* Add JSON-GLib bindings (Ali Sabil)
* Add goocanvas bindings (Roberto Majadas)
* Add hildon-fm-2 bindings (Levi Bard)
* Add taglib bindings (Andreas Brauchli)
* Add libusb bindings (Evan Nemerson)
* Add bzip2 bindings (Maciej Piechotka)
* Updates to the GLib, GTK+, GStreamer, and libsoup bindings.
* Fixes for Windows.
* Many bug fixes.
Vala is a new programming language that aims to bring modern programming
language features to GNOME developers without imposing any additional
runtime requirements and without using a different ABI compared to
applications and libraries written in C.
valac, the Vala compiler, is a self-hosting compiler that translates
Vala source code into C source and header files. It uses the GObject
type system to create classes and interfaces declared in the Vala source
code. It's also planned to generate GIDL files when gobject-
introspection is ready.
The syntax of Vala is similar to C#, modified to better fit the GObject
type system. Vala supports modern language features as the following:
* Lambda expressions
* Type inference for local variables
* Non-null types
* Assisted memory management
* Exception handling
Vala is designed to allow access to existing C libraries, especially
GObject-based libraries, without the need for runtime bindings. Each to
be used library requires a Vala API file at compile-time, containing the
class and method declarations in Vala syntax. Vala currently comes with
bindings for current versions of GLib, GTK+, and many more.
Using classes and methods written in Vala from an application written in
C is not difficult. The Vala library only has to install the generated
header files and C applications may then access the GObject-based API of
the Vala library as usual. It should also be easily possible to write a
bindings generator for access to Vala libraries from applications
written in e.g. C# as the Vala parser is written as a library, so that
all compile-time information is available when generating a binding.
More information about Vala is available at
The Vala Team
Jürg Billeter and Raffaele Sandrini
[Date Prev][Date Next
] [Thread Prev][Thread Next