GStreamer 'Desperately Seeking Sexiness' 0.4.0 released

GStreamer "Desperately Seeking Sexiness" 0.4.0 released

The GStreamer team is happy to announce another developer release of the
GStreamer streaming-media framework. GStreamer 0.4.0 is available for
immediate download at:
Updates and Enhancements

* Graphical pipeline editor (gst-editor) ported to GNOME 2.0
* Autobuild system using to generate good RPMs
*Apt for rpm repository for GStreamer and plug-in dependencies on
	RedHat 7.2 and 7.3, for both Ximian Red-Carpet Gnome 2 and 	Gnomehide.
* Red-Carpet GStreamer channel under construction.(available in a few
* GConf schemas distributed for centralised sink settings
* Moved to for bug reports. Bugzilla is more
	convenient than SourceForge's system, and Gnome already has a 	system
running. Thanks to Gnome for the support.
* Created a gst-feedback script to gather system information
    to be added to a bug report for better debugging.

* New much improved registry system implemented.
* New event-driven seek support. Event system is now working and
* Header files are now in a versioned directory to ease build pains.
* Improvements and bugfixes to dparams.
* Docs updated, registry and system clock documentation added.
* More tests added for improved troubleshooting.
* Cothreads code made more POSIX-compatible
* PowerPC portability fixes

* Quicktime plug-in rewritten
* - Effectv video effects plug-ins
* Audio effect plug-ins fixes (int2float, floatcast etc.)
* A new filter plug-in for audio filters
* OSS plug-in fixes
* Audiofile plug-in works again (depends on upstream patch getting
* lavencode plug-in renamed yuv4mpeg
* Synaesthesia plug-in added to gst-visualisation packages
* - Jack plug-in working -- CVS Jack required
* Floatcast plug-in added
* Include file setup fixes
* Avi plug-in ported to avifile 0.7.7
* Lots of fixes and cleanups on the DV plug-in
* libfame plug-in added (mpeg4)
* libdvdnav plug-in added
* Better URI handling in gnome-vfs plug-in
* RTP plug-in updated and ported to the -
oRTP library

Known Issues
GStreamer currently ships with two schedulers, named 'basic' and
'standard'. Basic is the one we have been shipping for a long time now
and is still the default in GStreamer 0.4.0. There are however some
limitations and threadrelated bugs in basic. These limitations are not
present in standard, but unfortunately standard does not work with i686
glibc atm due to differences in the way threads are handled compared to
other architectures including i386. We hope to get the remaining issues
in standard fixed before 0.4.1 and use that as default.

As for the bugs in basic we did not feel they warranted not releasing
0.4.0 as they are rather obscure. For instance if you are using
Rhythmbox you will need to be playing over 500 songs nonstop to trigger

If you want to test the standard scheduler, run your GStreamer
application with --gst-scheduler=standard

GStreamer Homepage

More details on these features can be found on the project's website,

We use for bug reports and feature requests.
The "product name" is GStreamer (capital G).Please do the following
before writing a bug report :

* Run gst-feedback and attach the file "feedback" to your bug report, so
that we have some information useful in the debugging process.

GStreamer is hosted on SourceForge. All code is in CVS and can be
checked out from there.Interested developers of the core library,
plug-ins, and applications should subscribe to the gstreamer-devel
list.  If there is sufficient interest we will create more lists as

We are still looking for people with access to Solaris, HP-UX, Irix and
True64 that would be willing to try building and testing GStreamer.
Patches fixing build problems on such systems are of course also more
than welcome.

Contributors to this release

Erik Walthinsen       	omega(AT)
Wim Taymans           	wim.taymans(AT)
Thomas Vander Stichele  thomas(AT)
Andy Wingo              wingo(AT)
Benjamin Otte		in7y118(AT)
Steve Baker             stevebaker_org(AT)

Plugins and Sample Applications

Richard Boulton        richard(AT)
David Lehn             dlehn(AT)
Ronald Bultje          rbultje(AT)
Bastien Nocera         hadess(AT)
Martin Enlund          martin(AT)
Arik Devens            arik(AT)
Jeremy Simon	       jsimon13(AT)
Zeeshan Ali Khattak    zak147(AT)
Rehan Khwaja		rehankhwaja(AT)
Kentarou Fukuchi       fukuchi(AT)
Artyom Baginski        artm(AT)
David Schleef	       ds(AT)
Xavier Bestel	       xavier.bestel(AT)

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller	Uraeus(AT)
Calum Selkirk              		cselkirk(AT)