GNOME 1.4 Beta 1 "Oops, We Did it Again" is released

The GNOME 1.4 Release Team is proud to announce GNOME 1.4 Beta 1
"Oops, We Did it Again". This is just the first beta and there are
various known problems with compiling and running. However, if you are
adventurous and would like to help with testing, get it from your
favorite (ftp://www.gnome.org/~mjs/MIRRORS.html) GNOME mirror site in
/pub/GNOME/betas/gnome-1.4beta1.

We would also like to announce the GNOME Fifth Toe 1.4 Beta 1 release,
a collection of additional packages that are not part of the core
desktop but work with GNOME.

Bug reports for most packages should go in bugzilla.gnome.org. For a
few packages, the right place is bugzilla.eazel.com or
http://bugzilla.ximian.com.

If you plan to do serious testing, I suggest using the test plans in
the gnome-test-plans module in cvs, and available at
http://www.gnome.org/~mjs/gnome-test-plans/

For the convenience of those who find building from source too
daunting, Ximian will soon be making binary packages available for a
variaty of platforms.

The release team would like to give special thanks to some folks who
went above and beyond the call of duty to help with the release:

* Miguel de Icaza and Michael Meeks for freezing Bonobo despite tight
  time constraints.

* George Lebl for going over bugzilla and closing ungodly numbers of
  bugs.

* Dave Camp for reporting and helping to fix many compile problems.

* Don Melton for helping the release team understand the Nautilus 1.0
  schedule and coordinate with the Nautilus team.

* Owen Taylor for making gtk-1.2.9pre1 in a handful of hours right
  after getting off a long plane flight.

* Martin Baulig for doing a huge amount of work to set up GNOME
  bugzilla, and get all the bugs moved over, which was a huge help for
  maintainers.

* Sriram Ramkrishna for helping to get all the outstanding gtk patches
  into the bug tracker.

* All GNOME package maintainers for getting new releases made or
  letting us know we could use an old release by the deadline.

* Darin Adler, Pavel Cisler, Rebecca Schulman and Mike Fleming for
  being the first package maintainer to have their packages ready and
  let us know (tie). :-)

Love,

The GNOME 1.4 Release Team:

Jacob Berkman