Re: A Terible Problem with accessibility of Gnome

On 29/5/21 4:29 am, Rynhardt Kruger via gnome-accessibility-list wrote:
I definitely think image recognition has improved a lot, both in speed
and accuracy. However, even a difference like 50 milliseconds may be
noticeable by an experienced screen reader user, especially if one
uses speech at 400 words per minute or more.

A further difficulty is that any system relying on image recognition imposes the burden of errors on the user, whose ability to correct for them is limited.

Image recognition might be useful, however, in automatically detecting errors in the implementation of accessibility APIs. I suppose that would be a research project.

My understanding is that the GNOME Foundation has accessibility plans which include a new accessibility API in GTK 4, guidance for developers, and, possibly, better tools for automatically detecting implementation errors.

I don't know whether GNOME developers also plan to fix the accessibility API and keyboard navigation of their own applications during the transition to GTK 4. Some proprietary operating system developers have been relatively successful in setting an accessibility policy for their software and implementing it reasonably consistently (e.g., Apple and Microsoft in recent years). So there are precedents that GNOME could surpass, given suitable project governance, developer education, and associated commitment of time and expertise. The GTK 4 initiative is an encouraging start.