Re: RFC: keyboard/mouse usage for accessibility?

Eric Johansson, le lun. 18 mars 2019 13:44:04 -0400, a ecrit:
I'm a speech recognition user and quite frankly, almost all the
accessibility features people have put in place do not work  with speech
recognition. How can we get our needs injected in the conversation?

By talking about it :)

about your paper on accessibility input.

It's not a paper, it's a wiki, to be completed :)

have only  500 keystrokes or mouse movements per day in their
hands. Speech recognition is essential to take the load off their
upper extremities.

Right, I missed that, now added.

I should be able to just say "restart numbering" and have it activate
that "right click, hunt through the menu and click on the item"
action.

Right, this is actually supported in at-spi, actionable widgets are
supposed to have a list of actions with a name for each, that can be
used in such a situation (and could be shown to the user so she knows
she can trigger it). I have also added that to the list.

A variation on this theme is every icon or link on the screen should
have a name that you can say and the speech recognition  environment
should be able to query the application for all those names.

Added as well.

Another thing to pay attention to is selecting a region.

added as well.

Another way to achieve everything you want is that applications must
provide accessibility API which sidesteps the GUI  interface.

Yes, but we don't necessarily want to put everything there.

Thanks for your feedback,
Samuel