Re: How to provide input to the screen reader in a Tk application?

Hi Aivar.

Orca works entirely based on interacting with AT-SPI2. Thus there is no
way to provide direct input to it.

Sorry!
--joanie

On 3/13/19 1:16 PM, Aivar Annamaa via gnome-accessibility-list wrote:
Hi!

I have a Python+Tkinter application (https://thonny.org) for which I'd
like to add some screen-reader support. Unfortunately Tk doesn't provide
required information to at-spi
(https://core.tcl.tk/tk/tktview?name=0e294d9604 and
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/tkinter-discuss/2013-September/003480.html).

I found Tka11y (https://pypi.org/project/Tka11y/) based on Papi
(http://ocemp.sourceforge.net/papi.html), but they haven't been updated
for a while. When I tried a minimal example with my Python 2.7 I got
core dump.

Do you know any  other options?

Can I somehow provide direct input to the screen reader without
involving a widget toolkit at all? For example, can I send a text to
narrate whenever the user moves from one line to another in the editor?

best regards,
Aivar