Re: apps no longer accessible using gnome and orca

Unrolling what exactly?  If its not window manager what might it be?

On Sat, 15 Oct 2016 14:06:56 -0400,
Janina Sajka wrote:

I understand the attraction of gentoo. Why not get a custom build, with
just the apps you want, and no more? Sounds cool--until important things
break, at which point you're left with both pieces.

I'm sorry, I have no gentoo specific understanding to offer. I can
suggest some of the ordinary approaches available on other distros, such
as unrolling to earlier versions until things again work. Yes, that can
be very tedious, but isn't that part of the gentoo bargain?

Maybe there are other gentoo users here who can validate your
experience, or indicate their current success. But, gentoo users are so
few and far between because of the high upfront cost of running gentoo.

I know I'm being a bummer, John. But, I feel I've known you via these
lists for long enough, that I'm willing to endure your ire. So, what is
gentoo's recommended strategy for such situations? After all, breakage
is surely inevitable in any human enterprise, including Linux.

Janina

John Covici writes:
Hi.  I am using the gentoo distribution and its gnome overlay and for
the last period (maybe a month or two) I find that no apps are
accessible using the orca screen reader.  The apps actually run as
verified with eyeballs, but orca does not see them.  I am running the
latest accessibility framework from git as of about 4 days ago.
Apparently, orca is not receiving the window activate event and it was
suggested to me that it might be the window manager.  I am using
mutter 3.20.3, downgraded to 3.20.2, but no joy.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici