Re: visual impairment focused design

You can do that, of course. Same threhold concern applies, however.
You'll find yourself responsible for AT-SPI/ATK support vs. inheriting
it from a widget toolkit.

You might want to be aware, for instance, that gtk3 is not that popular among Linux gui users. Evidence is
the level
of preference for Mate. Looking at the environments created by blind
user specific spins like Vinux and Sonar would be instructive.

Basically, the wider industry turned its back on end users first when
IBM pulled out of Linux desktop development in 2006, and then when
Oracle bought out Sun. The remaining players have been willing to let
development slide, by and large. A few brave souls are keeping the
basics going by continuing to maintain AT-SPI/ATK and Webkit support.

If I've misrepresented a11y support on current Linux/Unix desktops, I'm
sure others on list will correct my characterizations. I'm quite
confident there's more to say about that.

Janina

Michal Koudelka writes:
Yes, I realize now it was not a wise choice of subject, sorry about that.

I do not plan to make this an html5 app, I plan to use gtk3. At this moment
I did some very primitive prototyping using javascript and gjs but when I
start with real coding I will probably switch to vala or c#.

Michal Koudelka writes:
The applications primary designed to fulfil needs of a specific person
and
relatively small group of people. Of course it's supposed to be
opensource
and available, but I admit that target group is quite specific

So, you're now saying your original post is overly broad? Should we be
changing the Subject: line of this thread?

The requirements and specification are definitely not final, we are
working
on possible user scenarios and so far I made only few ui prototypes in
gjs
and I am trying to avoid of future issues, that's why I am exploring the
possibilities of gnome accessible technologies first.

OK. For GNOME specifically, you need to use a toolkit that supports
AT-SPI/ATK. Do anything else, and you're rolling your own for sure.

I'm unaware whether any flavor of GNOME Javascript supports AT-SPI, or
not. That's your threshold question if you're limiting yourself to this
language. Webkit support is a great start, but insufficient, imo.

Janina

I want app to be usable on linux or other free unix like systems ;) Mac
or
Win clone is not intention of mine.

Thank you for input, any suggestions are more then welcomed ;)

Michael

Michal Koudelka writes:
I need to make an application which is not just supposed to be
accessible
but designed specifically for people with visual impairment so it
should
rely heavily on using speech synthesiser and braille refreshable
display.

Your conclusion does not follow from your premise. This is illogical,
i.e. you cannot assume that "people with visual impairment" all, or
even
predominently use either braille or screen reader technology. Some do,
but it's actually a minority of users with visual impairments. There
are
far many more individuals who use their remaining vision with some kind
of screen magnification, or even simply display attribute control.

I strongly suggest your revisit the user scenarios and requirements of
your application with your vendor. And, while doing so, you should
explore why you actually need to control UI at this level. Why is
following W3C guidance, specifically WCAG 2.0 and using ARIA 1.1 is
insufficient. Perhaps you can answer this already, but it's not clear
me from your post that you've explored this. Frankly, I'm suspecting a
beginner's mistake here, which would serve neither your vendor nor your
userbase.

Also, are you writing exclusively for Linux? Or, are you unsure of how
to handle Linux in a cross-platform application? If the latter, all the
more reason to answer the questions above persuasively. The
W3C specs mentioned are carefully designed to support cross platform
content delivery and interaction. In the case of ARIA, they're even
reliably testable.

Tip: You might want to look at the latest draft of the ARIA Authoring
Practices Guide:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices/

I know I'm sounding critical, but I hope I'm actually helping you by
better defining your problem and refining your focus appropriately.
Good
luck! We certainly do want more coders to be fluent with supporting
a11y
in their apps appropriately.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200
                        sip:janina asterisk rednote net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:       http://a11y.org

Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures
http://www.w3.org/wai/apa