Re: AT-SPI standard's management of text objects

Hello,

Ksamak, on Tue 15 Nov 2016 16:52:51 +0100, wrote:
When caret is on a newline, it is quite hard to get the
screen position of the newline caret, The function atspi_text_get_character_extents
is of no help, and returns 0,0 as coordinates when such offset is
provided.

This looks like a bug to me.

Another similar problem is when a text is empty, thereby no text
offset is present.

Ditto.

I know these behaviours are probably correct according to AT-SPI
standard,

What makes you think that?

but is it voluntary?

I don't think it is. Probably just nobody ever had the need for these to
be fixed.

Is it possible to change any of that in the future, without impairing
the other applications relying on at-spi?

My guess would be yes. I don't see how useful it'd be to get 0,0
coordinates while the caret is obviously not at 0,0.

Samuel