trying to get started with pyatspi

I'm trying to enhance my speech recognition bridge (Windows speech recognition bridged to Linux) by adding some contextual awareness. I have 2 needs, 1st is to know what application is running, 2nd is to know if focus is on a text area (someplace you dictate plaintext in addition to commands)[1]

are there any examples or samples of the code I can use to accomplish my goals?

--- eric

[1] The reason for the 2nd need is obvious only if you've lived with speech recognition for a while. if you are not focused on a text box/region, you only want command grammars active otherwise inadvertent plaintext dictation can trigger all sorts of single character commands. I cannot tell you the number of email messages I have lost as a result of inadvertent plaintext dictation when in Thunderbird.