seeking advice on communication to external programs

I'm working on a tool for speech recognition users that I call "memory pad". basically it's a Python dictionary with a speech UI on top. The key being what you say and the data being either what you inject to the input queue or you set with daily you've just dictated or typed.

This is where I need advice:

what is the "approved"/"official" method of talking to applications in the Linux environment? From what I can tell it's dbus but I'm not sure how hard/easy it is to use.

whatever the "official" method of communicating to applications is, will it work cross-platform from Windows to Linux. Part of the reason why I ask is I am really not happy with the state of RPC style of communications in Linux. For example, I was using rpyc in speech bridge. It worked really well. It was easy to get running but it seems like support is no longer there and I'm questioning whether or not it still being developed/maintained.

 I'd like something I could use to call methods on either side.

This is also where I'm hoping that I can find a volunteer to help. I need someone that knows Linux GUIs and can help me build the visual/GUI aspect. it should be fairly simple. The basic display is just a text region. There are no menus to speak of because that's all speech driven. There would be some need to type into this text region because not everything is speakable.

Obviously, some of this would evolve as I try out UI elements and figure out what would work and not work.

thanks in advance for any advice on the RPC problem and any volunteers on the UI problem.

 --- eric