Re: Hearing feature request

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:30:41PM AEDT, Nico Rikken wrote:
Dear list members,

I've been wanting to commit a feature request for a while now, but in
order to make sure I address all aspects, I thought I'd drop it on the
mailing list first.

The hearing of my left ear has been decreased many years, resulting in
an overall lower reduced hearing level and a modified frequency
response. Normally this isn't a problem, and in a sense it seems that my
right ear is mainly processing the sound and my left ear is contributing
the spatial component.
This however becomes cumbersome when parts of the sound have a strong
focus on the left and I'm wearing headphones of some sort. Especially
when listening to an interview which is mixed with a right- and left
speaker, or listening to mono-recorded video's which only feature sound
on the left channel (legacy default), this becomes cumbersome. I either
have to switch ear-buds around or start using the laptop speakers.

In this regard it would be great if there would be a mono-audio option
available via the accessibility menu, which would allow my right ear to
take part as well. I have worked with the balance option in the
equalizer in the past, but that doesn't result in any cross-feed between
the channels.

Is this enough detailed information for a feature request? And how would
I be able to contribute in order to make this a reality?

This is something that would have to be done in PulseAudio. PulseAudio is rather modular, so it may be as
simple as writing a pulseaudio module to do what you wish.

I suggest asking on the pulseaudio discussion list,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/pulseaudio-discuss, and I am sure someone on that list would be
happy to help you.

Luke