Re: New magnifier UI: Input requested

El Viernes 14 de febrero de 2014 17:25, Joseph Scheuhammer <clown alum mit edu> escribió:

Improvements to the magnifier preferences dialog have been suggested.
A  mockup, courtesy of Allan Day, can be found at the following URL:
https://raw.github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/system-settings/universal-access/zoom-and-filters.png

One of the additions is a check box labelled "Keep keyboard focus in
view" that is on the left hand "Zoom" panel.  This is for toggling the
activation of focus/caret tracking.

The gnome-shell magnifier supports tracking modes for widget focus,
caret focus, and mouse pointer movement.  Furthermore, these are
independent of each other.  However, the proposed dialog combines
them.   The radio buttons above the check box list different mouse
tracking  modes, i.e. "Push with pointer", "Follow pointer", and "Keep
pointer  centered".  Whatever mode is set for the mouse will be used for
both  focus and caret tracking.

The question is what do magnifier users want or need regarding tracking
types?  Are there use cases for having the types of tracking independent
of each other?  Or, if the user chooses "centered" for one,  that
applies to all? We would really like user input.

To give a better idea of what this is about, I'll be the use case,
since  I use a magnifier on occasion, and at a low magnification factor
(1.75x).  My preference is "push" for mouse and caret tracking, but
"centered" for focus tracking.

With respect to the mouse, I prefer it behave as close as possible to
the non-magnifier experience.  On a standard desktop, the mouse moves,
not the contents.  The mouse tracking mode that comes the closest to
that experience is "push", where the contents do not move in the
magnified view until the mouse abuts up against an edge. When it does,
the contents do move, but only enough to bring them into view.

For myself, the text caret works in a similar way.  When using a word
processor, the caret generally moves in small increments -- left,
right,  up, and down --  and I prefer that the contents not move until
they need to.

However, when using the keyboard to tab-navigate around the UI, widget
focus frequently jumps over large distances.  For example, I may be
near  the bottom of the screen editing a text document when I use
alt+tab to  use the task switcher.  Focus moves (warps) to the centre of
the screen,  far from where I was typing.  I need to reorientto the new
screen contents (my point of regard, so to speak),  and, in my case,
that is helped by centering the widget that just  acquired focus -- I
prefer "centered" tracking for changes in widget  focus.  Trying to
preserve little or no movement in the contents is  pointless here since
focus is likely to move large distances.

Now, that's just me, and I stress that I am **not**putting my
preferences  forward as any kind of standard.  In fact, quite the
opposite.  Those  are my user preferences.  I fully expect other
magnifier users to have different ones, and we would like to know yours
so that we fully understand the needs and can incorporate them into the
UI being designed: Do you use the same tracking mode for focus, caret,
and mouse or different modes for each? And if you use different modes, why?

Hi Joseph !

I don't think you are the only one who prefers different tracking options. The only case I know uses push for
the mount pointer and center/smart for the text caret and menu options.

I think we need more flexibility options in this feature because it can be used for a wide range of people:
cognitive problem like cerebral palsy that make difficult to focus, different grades of low vision, people
who can't use the mouse or the keyboard as usual, etc.

Cheers,

   -- Juanjo Marin