Wayland

Are there people with backgrounds in accessibility development working with
the Wayland project?

In particular, the accessibility infrastructure will need to be fully
supported on systems that run Wayland without an X server. The latest Wayland
update that I've read mentions keyboard handling as one of the aspects of
Wayland development that is still in flux, hence there may be opportunities
for those who understand the requirements of AT-SPI 2, Orca etc. in this area to
make their requirements known before the relevant APIs are set.
http://lwn.net/Articles/491509/

I know that it will remain possible to run X as a Wayland client, but, given
the current thinking of X and Wayland developers, the norm will be for desktop
environments to use Wayland directly without an X server.