Re: Gnome menu

That's a shame about the accident. I'm glad that GNOME and Debian have
worked for you until now.

The new menus _should_ be accessible. May you please explain what
about them isn't working out? I'm sure that would help to improve the
implementation. As it is, adding a toggle between the two menu layouts
is no simple task: with this menu redesign, the idea of grouping menu
items under things like "Edit" and "View" is going to drift away, so
even if the bits were in place it would be quite difficult to change
it back (especially dynamically).

If I was to guess, the biggest problem for keyboard-accessibility is
that the menus don't open with F10, so you have to reach them with
Tab. Is that the gist of the problem? That might be something to
mandate in the HIG (and maybe add at the toolkit level), because it
_is_ quite surprising. Google Chrome, for example, is keyboard
accessible: its wrench menu can be opened with the usual mnemonics
(Alt+F or Alt+E). They forgot that F10 is the _real_ common
menu-opening shortcut, but they did try :)

If you haven't already found it, the keyboard shortcut to get the
application menu (beside Activities at the top left of the screen) is
Super+F10. You can also use the left and right arrow keys to get
anywhere else on the top bar. Do you find that one works okay?

Thanks,

Dylan