Migrating to a new distribution - Request for advice

Hi everyone,

I lead a project called F123 (pronounced F 1 2 3) that adapts Ubuntu so that it is easier to install and use for someone who is blind or has low vision. We have both Live USB and conventional installation versions. Our users are mostly in Latin America and Africa.

As we are big fans of Orca and Ubuntu seems to be moving away from Gnome, I am starting to discuss with our developers which distribution might be a good fit for us moving forward.

Debian seems like a natural choice, but I thought I should check with you all for suggestions.

If this falls a bit outside of the usual conversations on the list, please write to me at fernando f123 org

Our needs can be summarized as maximum ease-of-use and hardware compatibility.

Thanks,

Fernando