Re: Mass File Depression Maintaining Directory Structure

From: RiverWind <riverwind shellworld net>

> After reading "man zip", I am still not able to uncompress a load
> of NLS books in the specific way required for the task I am working
> on.  I was hoping someone could tell me what I am doing wrong. I am
> wanting to unzip several NLS books without opening their
> directories; I just want to uncompress the directory so it can be
> accessed by a DB-player's software.

Have you tried Olav advice? He answered your previous mail with an
advice:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-accessibility-list/2011-January/msg00033.html

Although not sure if the issue is that you want to use the terminal or
thatyou can't use nautilus.

> For instance the following syntaxes didn't yield the desired
> results; mind you, these file names take up two lines.
>
> For the files who's names take up two lines I tried:
>
> unzip DB*.zip -d /home/riverwind/holder
>
> Resulting error message "caution: filename not matched:"
>
> I then tried renaming one of the files to file01.
>
> unzip file01.zip -d /home/riverwind/holder
>
> The file decompressed right enough, but there was no directory.
> Instead the actual files were decompressed.
>
> I am not wanting to extract the files, just extract the directory
> such that it appears as a single item into which I can get with a
> cd command from the terminal or in gnome doing <cr. with the cursor
> on the file. I don't know if anything of this nature is even
> possible from within gnome.

Hmm, this seems a strange feature request. You want unzip to extract
the directory structure but without the files inside. Are you sure
that other compressor/decompressor allows that?

Anyway, one option would be, as you want just to decompress the
directory estructure without file, create a zip from a estructure
directory without the files.

You can also check the -x option on unzip. On the "man unzip" page,
there are a example using -x in order to not extract some files with a
specific extension in some specific subdirectories.

BR

===
API (apinheiro igalia com)