Re: DBus performance about 20X slower than basic client/server

2010/7/15 Bill Cox <waywardgeek gmail com>
I've done some performance testing of D-Bus vs a simpler IPC message
package.  On average, the simplest test message that asks for a
response in DBus takes almost 200 microseconds per call.  In the
simpler IPC socket based package, it's only 10 microseconds per round
trip call.  The upshot is that DBus is about 20X slower than a basic
socket based client/server communication mechanism.

I'm worried that DBus will become an Orca performance bottleneck.  Is
there anything we can do about DBus?  The reference implementation we
use is 70K lines, and my vote would be a new implementation designed
for performance.

Bill