Re: Pls review gtk change for accessibility issues

On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 02:32 -0400, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
> ===
> Looking at it from the perspective of accessibility for users who are
> blind....
>
> Personally, I don't see what's so wrong about the first menu item being
> selected: Choose something else, exit the menu, or if you're a mouse
> user unselect the item by moving the mouse away from the menu. In fact,
> I rather like it when the first item is selected because it means one
> less press of Down Arrow.

Hi,
The most common use-case where this problem arises is for touchpad
users. Once they get the context menu open , and re-touch the touchpad
the item often gets selected and an undesired-action occurs.
Ex: nautilus creates an unnecessary new folder

> My personal preferences aside....
>
> The problem I see, now that I'm looking at the issue and this bug
> report, is that sometimes the first item is selected and sometimes it's
> not. Predictability / consistency amongst instances of a given widget is
> a good thing for all users.

Yes ,there is some inconsistency in a few apps , earlier in nautilus
they had done the menu shift themselves ,iirc it was to prevent the
accidental folder being created. However they reverted the change to be
more consistent with gtk+. But, a few apps might still be doing it on
their own.

In Firefox[non-gtk example though], the context menu item is not
selected by default. This has always been its behavior. User has to move
the pointer to select the first option.

> Orca presents the correct information in both cases (first item
> selected; first item not selected). Therefore, unless someone raises
> some concern I've not thought of, if the Gtk+ team thinks your change is
> worth making the Orca team is fine with that.
>
> Thanks so much for asking, and my apologies for the delay in responding.
> ===

No worries. Thanks for reviewing the change.

--
Cheers,
Vish