Re: Help us make programming by voice possible in Linux

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Piñeiro <apinheiro igalia com> wrote:
> There are also other project to control gnome desktop using voice,
> called Gnome Voice Control [1]. Not sure about the current
> development status.

Hi, Piñeiro.  I looked a bit into the various options for voice
control.  Frankly, Simon is the only tool I found with near-term
potential to enable people with typing impairments to be productive
programmers in Linux.  Neither Gnome Voice Control nor VEDICS had
interfaces for creating custom voice commands, and Simon had the best
recognition accuracy.  The only major problem I see for incorporating
Simon is it's dependency on the HTK toolkit, which requires
registration at their site, and prohibits redistribution of source
code:

http://www.voxforge.org/home/about/comments/simon-and-htk-licensing

So, Simon in it's current form can not be shipped in any Linux
distribution, except with static models!

Bill