Re: Accessibility Summit for GNOME Boston?

Hi API:

Let's plan on an irc.gnome.org/#a11y IRC meeting this coming Monday at 14:00UTC:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=9&day=14&year=2009&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=43

I'd like to talk about what we may do at GNOME Boston this year.

I think your suggestions are good. I'm going to tend to be very focused on having GNOME 3.0 end up being an accessibility success vs. a disaster. Some of the top issues surrounding this are:

* New infrastructure -- D-Bus instead of CORBA.  The work needs to be
  completed, tested, and performance work probably needs to be done.  In
  addition, it may not be a drop in replacement but may require changes
  to existing implementations (e.g., OpenOffice might need to change
  some).

* New speech support -- SpeechDispatcher+ instead of gnome-speech.  We
  need to test this and integrate it into Orca and also make sure it
  works on all platforms.

* New magnification -- part of GNOME Shell instead of gnome-mag.  The
  work needs to get done, a D-Bus API needs to be written, it needs to
  be integrated with Orca, etc.

* Clutter/Mutter/GNOME Shell a11y -- where do AT-SPI implementations
  belong, where is a11y work needed, and who can do the work?

* WebKit a11y -- definitely an opportunity for Joanie and Xan to
  meet face-to-face and go over issues and give us a better picture
  for how to reach success.

This is a *LOT* of work.  The end result, however, should be worth it.

Will

From: Willie Walker <William Walker Sun COM>

Hi,

there is any advance about any accessibility summit on Boston? This
seems that the proposal hasn't got much success, at least on this
thread.

Here in Igalia we have a little debate about people going to the
Boston Summit. Most likely Xan Lopez will go to the Boston Summit, to
hack about different aspects of Webkit-GTK+ (current status,
integration with GNOME Shell and so on), so probably he will be open
to talk about a11y as well.

We are debating as well if would be interesting to go myself, to share
some thoughts about Cally or other a11y themes. Li Yuan commented
about atk-bridge and two toolkits. He likely was talking about GTK+
and Qt, but there are similar issues here with Clutter and GTK+. In
summary talk about and test points like:

  * Multiple toolkits on desktop using the same bridge (GTK+ vs Qt,
    GTK+ vs Clutter, etc)
  * Current status of Mutter/GNOME Shell a11y
     * How to use Cally in this task
     * Current missing features
     * Prioritize
     * How to interact with GNOME Shell from a a11y POV (not just
       automatic testing, apps like Orca and so on)

Any one interested in this points? It will be any accessibility summit
on Boston or it is discarded at this moment? How about the dates? In
your original mail one of your points if the magnification on GNOME
Shell, will any GNOME Shell folk appear at the hypothetical a11y
summit?

As you can figure of my questions, right now I'm not really sure about
that, as I don't know if anyone is interested on these points, of just
if the a11y summit is discarded.

Hi All:

Who is interested in an accessibility summit for GNOME Boston this year?

http://live.gnome.org/Boston2009 - October 10-12

I have a scheduling conflict where I will only be able to attend Sunday and Monday (i.e., Saturday is out), but I think it might be great to get together to talk about things such as:

1) GNOME 3.0 goals:
    * Completing the AT-SPI/D-Bus work
    * Magnification work being rolled into GNOME Shell
    * Speech dispatcher
    * Testing testing testing

2) Organizing ourselves to help provide distributions feedback
    and help with the way they integrate accessibility

3) Revisiting our gaps and areas where people can get involved

4) Potential integration with other global organizations to promote
    and foster open source accessibility

I'm also encouraging the desktop testing folks to get something together.

Note that many of the above could be done via e-mail if necessary. Being able to get together for a hackfest or code sprint for AT-SPI/D-Bus, however, might be a very useful thing to do face-to-face.

So...please let me know your thoughts,

Will