Considering remaining with CORBA accessibility framework for Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx.

Hi all
You may or may not be aware that the planning for Lucid Lynx is now under way. Lucid Lynx will be a long term support release, so many aspects of developing the distro are being done in a somewhat more conservative approach this cycle. Since Lucid will still be shipping GNOME panel et al , which requires bonobo etc, I am seriously considering remaining with at-spi in its current form, i.e using bonobo/orbit, for the single reason that it works well, and changing to the dbus implementation will break existing applications in Ubuntu like gok and dasher, since at-spi over dbus does not yet have a C library for client apps to link to, at least as I understand things.

I would like to hear people's thoughts on whether this is the right approach. On one hand, I'd love to move over to the new implementation of at-spi, however since this is a long term support release, I really do not want to introduce possible breakage and regressions in some, if not all, use cases. I guess what I am asking for, is a convincing argument to move to at-spi over dbus. I am also interested from a distro packager's point of view, as to how easy it is to transition over. If its not much work to transition, and I can make the change early in the lucid cycle, to allow for testing, then I will certainly give weight to using at-spi over dbus, but as I've said, I am concerned about breaking otherwise working applications, especially in a long term support release.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions you may have.

Luke