Re: [Kde-accessibility] KDE-accessibility/Qt AT-SPI

Hi Dan:

You can learn more about the Orca screen reader and magnifier at http://live.gnome.org/Orca. I would love to grow the Orca developer community, so please let me know what questions you may have.

Will

Dan Miner wrote:
I'm glad to hear that a common ground appears to be coming out the work. I'm becoming very interested in accessibility on a personal front because I'm nearing the end of my vision. Is there some resources you could mention for a developer starting out on building and eventual coding?

I'm a software developer myself and I'm starting to find serious need for screen magnification and reading now. Last time I tried, I couldn't get the latest code to ever build and then no clues even how to get stuff submitted.

    Regards,
       Dan

Olaf Schmidt wrote:
Hi Jeremy,

thanks a lot for offering to contribute to KDE Accessibility.

As you already wrote, Qt had an accessibility framework that can be used to make Qt and KDE applications accessible with Orca or other assistive technologies. One Trolltech developer (Harald Fernengel) even wrote a D-Bus interface for it:
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDBusBridge

See also:
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/IAPoke
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Accessibility/QDasher

This interface could be used by Orca. But it would need to be completed and bug-fixed to achieve the full results, and in the meantime, it has become clear Gnome is now also moving to D-Bus for their accessibility framework.

It would make a lot of sense to rework Harald's code to use the same D-Bus interfaces as Gnome.

The timing is very good to get involved now, since it has become clear at last that a common approach with Gnome is possible. Important decisions about the Free Software accessibility architecture have been made (namely, Gnome's D-Bus move).

Gunnar and I spent a lot of time on KDE Accessibility in the past, but we are now at a point where we simply do not have the time any more to continue with this very important work. But I promise to help you as much as I can (by answering questions and maybe by helping with the testing) if you wish to continue with the work started by Harald, Gunnar and myself.

Olaf