Switching between text widgets via F6/shift F6

Hi all. Not sure whether this is the correct list for these questions, but since it's full of accessibility developers, I figure someone here likely has the answer.

I've been filing accessibility tickets against Gajim, a GTK-based XMPP client. It is already highly accessible, especially after the Orca script I've written (which I really need to get into shape for contribution.) There's one major issue that has both the developer and I stumped, though, and I just don't know what to tell him.

I like how F6/shift F6 in Pidgin toggles between the output and input areas. When in the output area, I can move around and manipulate the text as if it were a read-only document. This to me is huge for accessibility, but Gajim doesn't do it, instead requiring that I use Orca's flat review, which has some issues.

The strange thing is that this doesn't seem like a hugely complicated issue. I'm working on an app of my own, and I've got it such that I get this exact behavior out of the box with a few lines of manually-created widgets. Gajim uses glade, though, which doesn't seem terribly accessible in some spots, and looking at the XML is no help.

So, what combination of circumstances is needed for F6/shift F6 to change focus between text widgets in an application? The developer seems keen on implementing this, but I just don't know what to tell him to change.

Thanks a bunch.