orca configuration problem

I had to run orca -t as root then run orca -t as a user. In both cases I had a hardware synthesizer and my sound card speaking, so the speech isn't messed up. I set orca to run on login as a user and rebooted the system. Orca came up into the orca window so I selected preferences and set several of them. Then I hit the apply button in the general tab and all speech died. I'll restart orca and see if any of the settings were changed. If not, next time I'll hit the OK button and see if I get luckier.