Re: Team updates needed for the 2009 Q2 GNOME Quarterly Report by July 31st

Hi All:

Here's what I plan to send to Stormy this Friday. Please send comments if you have them.

GNOME Accessibility Updates for Q2:

* We started a GNOME component in the HFOSS project:
  http://2009.hfoss.org/GNOME.
  Three students (Rachel Foecking - Trinity College '11, Ryan Gee -
  Wesleyan '11, and Ted Nichols - Wesleyan '10) worked on MouseTrap
  and VizAudio under the mentorship of GNOME community members Flavio
  Percoco Premoli and Bryen Yunashko.  The projects went well,
  resulting in many improvements to MouseTrap and a potential new
  module for libcanberra.  The HFOSS organizers would also like to
  continue the relationship with GNOME for next year's HFOSS summer
  institute.

* We created a small "GOPA-sized" grant for Joanmarie Diggs to work
  with Xan Lopez on WebKit accessibility.  It's a difficult problem
  but the work is proceeding at a fast pace with strong positive
  cooperation between Xan and Joanmarie.

* Willie Walker (Sun and GNOME Accessibility Lead), Li Yuan (Sun),
  Ke Wang (Sun), Mark Doffman (Codethink), Rob Taylor (Codethink),
  Mike Gorse (Novell) and Brad Taylor (Novell) held an AT-SPI/D-Bus
  planning meeting and code sprint.  They made significant progress
  on getting closer to the Bonobo/CORBA deprecation goal for GNOME 3.0.
  The Bonobo/CORBA deprecation status page is at
  http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/BonoboDeprecation, with
  specific AT-SPI/D-Bus work being tracked via the Linux Foundation:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Accessibility/ATK/AT-SPI/AT-SPI_on_D-Bus

* Ke Wang from Sun has made great progress on the Java ATK Wrapper
  which will supplant the Java/CORBA implementation for AT-SPI.

* Brad Taylor and Mike Gorse made great progress on Mono accessibility
  for GNOME.

* Luke Yelavich from Canonical started the Speech Dispatcher work
  with a goal of supplanting gnome-speech for GNOME 3.0.

* Joseph Scheuhammer from the Adaptive Technology Research Centre
  at the University of Toronto has begun working on magnification.
  We intend on collaborating closely with Owen Taylor from Red Hat
  to integrate magnification into GNOME Shell and ultimately
  supplant gnome-mag for GNOME 3.0.

* Community member "API" from Igalia released the first version of
  Cally (Clutter Accessibility Implementation Library):
http://blogs.igalia.com/apinheiro/2009/07/20/cally-moved-to-clutter-repository-and-other-news/

* The GNOME desktop automation project (Mago -
  https://launchpad.net/mago) has made excellent progress using the
  Accessibility layer.

* The GNOME Accessibility projects have continued to be actively
  developed, enhanced, and maintained, including:
  http://live.gnome.org/Orca
  http://live.gnome.org/MouseTweaks
  http://live.gnome.org/MouseTrap
  http://live.gnome.org/Gok
  http://live.gnome.org/Accerciser
  http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

For the upcoming quarters, we plan on focusing on the Bonobo/CORBA deprecation goal for GNOME 3.0. Willie Walker will also be representing the GNOME project at "Jornadas Regionales de Software Libre" this fall: http://jornadas.opencommunity.cl/en/

Will

Stormy Peters wrote:
Just a reminder that the updates are due this Friday.

If you could also include a short blurb on what you plan to do in Q3 (as well as what you did in Q2), I think that would be really interesting to many folks. It doesn't have to really detailed, just in general, "Plan to work on new website design, artwork for the new slideset templates and layout for GNOME business cards."

Remember that the stuff you did in July is stuff you plan to do in Q3. :)

Thanks,

Stormy