Leaking at-spi-registryd

Not sure where this problem might lie, but I'm wondering if anyone else sees it?

Admittedly, my 1.5 GHz Celeron is showing its age, and probably isn't the best platform for Ubuntu, but I notice that after about a day of use my system is running so slow it is practically unusable. First I suspected firefox, so I killed and restarted it, but this regularly didn't solve the problem. Thunderbird was next, as were a number of other programs on my system. Killing and restarting caused an improvement, but things rapidly degraded to disk/swap thrashing and the need to reboot. It was when I started finger-pointing at pidgin that I finally fired up gnome-system-monitor...

...and discovered that at-spi-registryd was listed as using 189 MB of RAM. No, that isn't a typo.

I'm unfortunately not conversent enough with ps to sort all processes by memory use, and tools like top seem inaccessible unless I set a slow refresh rate so I can review the material presented, so I'm not sure if the problem is wider reaching than that. But I've done a bit of poking, and if the problem isn't wider-reaching, at-spi-registryd is probably a good starting point.

What I've noticed with periodic "ps auw |grep at-spi-registryd" checks is that at-spi-registryd hovers at around 0.6% memory use for a while. Then, at some point which I can't reliably reproduce other than by using my computer for a day or two, it starts slowing. Over the course of two cycles I've determined that this slowdown corresponds to a spike in the percentage of memory used by at-spi-registryd, and it usually jumps to 7.something% and never drops below that point.

I tried checking out the latest at-spi-registryd from subversion. I use stow to keep all locally-installed stuff separate and removable from distribution-installed packages. I have /usr/local/libexec/at-spi/at-spi-registryd, but /usr/lib/at-spi/at-spi-registryd is still being started. How can I start my own locally installed at-spi-registryd without replacing the Ubuntu packaged version?

Until I figure this out, is there some way of stopping/restarting at-spi-registryd mid-session? I tried killing it, but after that point I was unable to get to a prompt where I could start a new instance. Generally I can tell that I'm at a terminal or in the run dialog because backspace on an empty line emits a beep, but nothing I did brought me to this point.

Finally, has anyone else seen this behavior? I don't understand enough of how the AT infrastructure works to know what might solve it. Is it an issue with at-spi-registryd leaking, or maybe something where some user of the registryd is flooding it with objects that it doesn't then dispose of? As stated, I can't seem to reliably reproduce this problem in any way other than maintaining an uptime of a day or two. Sometimes it is hastened by visiting an intensive website in firefox, something using lots of javascript and such, but it was just recently triggered and I'd not done anything of the sort. Were there any major leak issues resolved in newer at-spis? Is there anything else I might do to help resolve this and find what piece in the puzzle might be causing it?

BTW, this is on the latest Ubuntu Intrepid X86 with all upgrades applied and trunk Orca.

Thanks for your time.