Re: HFOSS Visual Audio

Hi All:

The HFOSS internships are only 10 weeks and are meant for relatively inexperienced college students. Based upon my experiences with this kind of thing in the past, we need strong mentors and well defined achievable tasks for this to succeed. In the HFOSS case, I believe we're lucky in that the students will have their professors for some mentoring, but we also need strong mentors from the GNOME side.

Given this and the capabilities of the people involved, I could see this internship taking a couple different paths:

1. SURVEY/RECOMMENDATION:
-------------------------

Create a survey/recommendation for what can be done in GNOME to bring state of the art support for visual audio. This would include looking at existing commercial solutions (e.g., OSX, Windows, GNOME), solutions currently in research (e.g., TRACE, WGBH), and discussions with end users. The browser itself, such as Firefox, might also be viewed as a space independent of the OS.

The survey may also involve breaking the space up into different areas, such as handling streaming media vs. discrete notifications. In addition, some analysis of the technical infrastructure in place for GNOME (e.g., gstreamer, the notification-daemon, etc.) would be useful.

The deliverable would be a detailed survey with recommendations for what GNOME, and perhaps the industry as a whole, can do. 10 weeks is not a lot of time for this, but might be something achievable for a motivated and outgoing student. From there, we cross our fingers and hope someone will be there to actually implement the recommendations -- maybe it's something that a motivated professor might use as the core of a grant proposal.

2. HACK/PROTOTYPE

This one basically skips the formal survey idea above and jumps right to prototyping specifically in the notification/discrete-event space (i.e., not streaming media). Look at what the GNOME desktop has now, such as gstreamer, notification-daemon, the "alerts and sound effects" feature, and how these all integrate with apps like Thunderbird, Pidgin, etc. Work with Bryen to come up with a written design for ways to present these kinds of things visually. Then hack away at some specific solutions, such as Pidgin, Thunderbird, the Battery/Power Monitor, the Network Monitor, etc.

With this solution, Bryen can act as a mentor from the end-user perspective. We'd need help from a someone familiar with the way GNOME does audio and the way notifications happen, but a motivated student/hacker might be a self-starter.

The deliverables would be a design/style for how to handle visual audio for the notification/discrete-event space, specific examples for some applications, and perhaps a framework for making it easy to support this kind of thing from any application. The framework might also include considerations for integration of things such as closed captioning from streaming media.

The benefits of this task are that something actually gets done and it might spur on new ideas. The risk is that it may end up completely missing the mark for the best way to handle this space.

Will