GNOME desktop media accessibility settings [was Re: Meeting Update]

Bryen, all,

Interesting note below about making GNOME accessibility to deaf users. Last Friday I was talking with some Sun folks about closed captioning and other accessibility issues around video media, and one of them asked an interesting question: should a user's caption setting in their video player persist across uses of the player?

This led to a larger question: just like theming and whether AT libraries are loaded, should there be a desktop accessibility preference setting around a desire for closed caption display - and perhaps another round video description rendering - which all media players might then respect and utilize?
What do folks on this list think?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect & Principal Engineer,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

We had a good productive meeting last night covering several topics:

1) Discussion of bugs and points to consider for GTK+ Hackfest in
Bolzano Italy.  Flavio Premoli (FlaPer87) will be representing a11y
interests at the hackfest.

2) I brought up that we have several open source conferences coming up
throughout the year in the U.S. (and presumably around the world as
well.)  Due to budgetary constraints, we cannot send a representative to
visit all these events.  However, we'd like to know who might be close
by regionally that could present a11y talks.   I'll come up with a list
of such events soon and if anyone would like to step up to the plate,
please do.

3)  Online hackfest.  We discussed the idea of staging an online one day
hackfest for the general GNOME community to come to our #a11y channel
and hack on some bugs that need love.  Ideas on how we can organize this
and get the word out to the general community is much appreciated.

4)  HFOSS:  MouseTrap will be submitted to HFOSS for summer internship
work.  We are trying to do a second project for HFOSS, namely visual
audio (where there are visual events for audio events) making GNOME
accessible for Deaf users.   I need to draft up my proposal for how this
would work.  I should have something put out by today or tomorrow.

Next week, we will have a time-shifted meeting to accommodate other
parts of the world.  It will be at 20:00 UTC on Monday, February 23rd.
If you haven't been able to make it to past meetings because of the
time, please DO show up at this one. We'd love to see you!