Re: gksu problem?

Hi Halim:

I tried this:

0) Made sure the gksu keygrab was disabled (via Orca preferences GUI)
1) Made sure ~root/.orbitrc was in place
2) Launched orca
3) Ran "gksu gdmsetup" from a gnome-terminal window

The password dialog read just fine, but then I noticed the bad hang. Surprisingly, when I Ctrl+C'd out of the gksu command in the gnome-terminal window, the hang stopped and the gdmsetup application kept on running. In addition, Orca was also able to read the gdmsetup application without me needing to restart either Orca or gdmsetup. For the rest of the session, all things launched via gksu seemed to be accessible via as well.

Li Yuan recently fixed a bug in this space -- I'm not sure if it made it upstream to the gksu folks or not, so I'm CC'ing Li.

Note that if you just want to run admin apps from the command line, I think running them with "sudo" might be a very reasonable alternative.

Hope this helps!

Will

PS - I've been noticing some very bad bonobo activation crashes on Intrepid. I'm not sure the exact circumstances to cause them to happen, but the result is that I tend to need to restart my desktop session in order to get accessibility to work again. :-( I'm trying to find a reproduceable test case.

Halim Sahin wrote:
Hi Sorry Will that does not work for me.
The desktop hangs as described in my previous mail.
When I change to a tty and type killall gksu, the application  which was
started through gksu works and is accessible.
Try to start gdmsetup through its starter under system properties.
I think it's called loginscreen

Is this accessible on your machine?
Thanks
halim