Re: Please check WebKit accessibility implementation

Hi Will, all.

> The WebKit folks have been working hard on making it accessible.  Can
> you please check it out and see how they've been doing?

I gave it a try and think I must be missing something fundamental. :-(

I tried both the downloadable snapshot (r34604) as well as building from
source.  I also built Epiphany from source.  Then I used Accerciser to
examine the contents and events in GtkLauncher and in Epiphany.

Links and at least some form controls do show up in the hierarchy and do
have associated actions.  But the various text objects seem to be
partially missing.  By "partially missing" I mean that there were many
objects of ROLE_UNKNOWN and many objects of ROLE_TEXT which claim to
implement the accessible text interface. However, the actual
text/strings are missing, the character count is 0, text attributes are
absent, etc.  This struck me as odd so I enabled debugging for the trunk
build.  The result:

UNIMPLEMENTED:
(WebCore/page/gtk/AccessibilityObjectWrapperAtk.cpp:252 const gchar*
webkit_accessible_action_get_description(AtkAction*, gint))
UNIMPLEMENTED:
(WebCore/page/gtk/AccessibilityObjectWrapperAtk.cpp:538 gint
webkit_accessible_streamable_content_get_n_mime_types(AtkStreamableContent*))
UNIMPLEMENTED:
(WebCore/page/gtk/AccessibilityObjectWrapperAtk.cpp:321 AtkAttributeSet*
webkit_accessible_text_get_run_attributes(AtkText*, gint, gint*, gint*))
ASSERTION FAILED: isTextControl()
(WebCore/page/AccessibilityRenderObject.cpp:1143 virtual int
WebCore::AccessibilityRenderObject::textLength() const)
Segmentation fault

I'm also getting no events for web content (including the form fields
and links).

So.... Is there something special I need to do (or something I might
have done that I shouldn't have) to enable a11y?

Also, I don't see any way (or any documentation) to enable caret
navigation. I asked in #epiphany and #webkit and was told that they were
not aware of caret navigation being implemented.  But that's not the
impression I got from previous messages on this list.

If there's a README or wiki page which I failed to stumble upon, feel
free to just point me to it and I'll happily RTFM. :-)

Thanks!
--Joanie