Re: GNOME A11y: where do we need to improve? (Want input by 25-Jan)

On 17/01/2008, Willie Walker <William Walker sun com> wrote:
> One of the most important things for us to do right now is identify
> where we need to improve.
>
> Over the coming week, please set aside some time to look at
> http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GetInvolved.

Thanks for getting us focused on this Will.

I've added some ideas to the wiki
http://live.gnome.org/Accessibility/GetInvolved?action=diff&rev2=30&rev1=28

My top 5 plus a bonus item:

1) Alt input - 1st class access for those not using mouse or keyboard
or needing tweaks to them.
2) Evangalise and support, we need to get users and support
organisations out of the proprietary + Windows mindset.
3) Support and resources for app developers to ensure all apps are
fully accessible. Also encourage new new AT developers.
4) Reading/writing support e.g e-books with highlighting and word prediction
5) Standard TTS that just works with simple API (including all general
sound issues)
and
Bonus) blue sky and innovation - lets make GNOME a11y lead the way and
be where a11y users want to be.

(I'm assuming D-bus migration is happening anyway)

As for how I can get involved well I think we should seriously discuss
the entire Alt input landscape once David Bolter comes back on stream.
I've reached a pause in Jambu grant from Mozilla so now is a good time
for me especially if I can find funding (as I need to pay the bills).
For the next few months family commitments mean I have reduced
availability and as I think we need to review the big picture of Alt
access I'd also be very interested in working on documentation and
resources for developers (or users). Oh the Python Magazine article on
Python a11y, GNOME, pyatspi and accerciser etc will be released for
free use on 20 Feb so it can go on the wiki.

I'm always on the look out for a chance to evangelise Open Source a11y
and especially GNOME and Mozilla and would love to do more formally.
;-) I usually 'spout off' through fullmeasure.co.uk,  oatsoft.org.uk,
schoolforge.org.uk and did a recent poster presentation at UK RAaTe
a11y conference http://fullmeasure.co.uk/raate07 and which is CC.

--
Steve Lee