Re: Thoughts on magnification

Hi Will,

Willie Walker wrote:
Hi All:

This is to follow up on the nice IRC discussion we had in IRC yesterday regarding magnification. I think the main points were:

o The COMPOSITE extension opens the world for us to do lots and lots of really cool manipulation of what's being displayed on the desktop. This goes well beyond bit zooming and lets us get into really neat and useful stuff that can benefit a larger number of disabilities.

Very true, and the work here can benefit everyone whether they consider themselves having a disability or not. I think the curb-cut effect is especially ripe here.

o The architecture of the COMPOSITE extension seems to be that the most effective use of it is if you are in the process of the thing acting as the COMPOSITE manager.

o As we see with Compiz and Metacity, people seem to be centering on the window manager as the COMPOSITE manager.

o We have a desire to for external processes (e.g., Orca
Yes, and another example (and I know you know this) is switch input and eye-gaze/head pointer type systems. I'm really looking forward to someone running with this... for example "scanning the desktop", as opposed to an OSK (on-screen keyboard). A few of us have talked about this for years; it would be great to see it happen. This case is somewhat tangential to your questions here though.
) to communicate with features provided by the COMPOSITE manager, such as magnification.

o We need to consider systems where COMPOSITE may not be available.
How will we address this? Or will we?
Given this, I think we agreed that the 'magnification' task is larger than magnification. Maybe we need to rename it something like CIMSITY (COMPOSITE Interface for Magnification Services and other Interesting TechnologY ;-)). Given this, I think we also tended to agree that we should create a growable API that starts off by supporting at least what we need for magnification, but which will also eventually allow us to do other really really cool stuff. This API (most likely DBus based?) would need to be supported by at least Metacity and ideally Metacity and Compiz.

Does that sound about right?
Yes.
If so, this still seems like a pretty tractable problem that seems to fit well within the GNOME Outreach Program and which also provides great support for a large number of assistive technologies.

What are your thoughts?

Will