Re: Today's meeting, the log.

Thanks Luke!

The turnout yesterday was amazing, with everyone asking a lot of really good questions, making a lot of great suggestions, and people just plain connecting with each other. We had some really good discussions around:

1) Evince accessibility. The cool thing here is that Brian Cameron, who has considerable experience with implementing accessible text support, is willing to mentor this and Behdad Esfahbod, aka "Mr. Pango", is willing to answer questions as well. This is cool.

2) Documentation. We had good discussion about the overall need for documentation for users, developers/testers, and integrators. I think we were close to concluding that the user-oriented documentation and the more technical documentation might be separate tasks.

3) Testing. While this one is going to be an interesting challenge, the great thing is that everyone agrees it is really needed. We've already started a discussion on http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-February/msg00103.html, and people are encouraged to join it.

4) Speech. We touched on this briefly. Speech Dispatcher is among the obvious choices, but we need to have more discussion about this. Before jumping on speech dispatcher completely, we need to make sure it can help address audio issues while simultaneously supporting screen readers, AAC technology, self-voicing applications, etc. It also needs to be capable of behaving properly in shared-server environments such as the Sun Ray and smaller devices such as OLPC and OpenMoko. We should probably also discuss this with the KDE and Open A11y folks to see if they would be on board with it. In other words, if we're going to do this, we need to do it right and we need to do it with the larger community in mind.

5) Magnification.  We didn't get to this at all.

Post meeting, Eitan (eeejay) and Bryen (suseROCKs) also talked about ideas along the lines of a Hall of Fame and Certification Logo. Neat stuff, and they will write more about it when they work up details.

Given all the great questions and participation, the meeting went longer than expected. So, we discussed continuing the conversation tomorrow (Thu) at the same time. The main topics will be speech and magnification.

I just want to be sure, though, that the needed players will be there tomorrow: Tomas Cerha for discussing speech dispatcher (hittsjunk and Kajarii would also be very helpful), Carlos Eduardo Rodrigues Diogenes and Kristian Lyngstøl for magnification. Will you be able to make it? If not, would Friday at the same time work better for people?

Thanks again, everyone!

Will