pointer grabs and developer guides

Hello,

With the arrival of policykit in GNOME, a new authentification dialog has appeared and it is not possible to enter the password into it by using an onscreen keyboard. I suppose that the problem is due to the dialog grabbing the pointer!?

Consequently, I would like to propose the following idea:

Would it make sense to add a recommendation (if not requirement) about avoiding pointer grabs to the developer guidelines or to the GNOME HIG (or maybe somewhere more appropriate)?

Maybe pointer grabs are in some circumstances unavoidable; I really don't know. I hope that this thread will help to determine the necessity of pointer grabs and if it makes sense, start the process of a recommendation (requirement) about avoiding them; at least for GNOME.

I could have posted this email to the gnome-desktop-devel-list, but I preferred to post it to the gnome-accessibility-list, where the pointer grabs have probably the most negative consequences due to the usage of alternative user interfaces.

Finally, maybe that similar considerations would also make sense for keyboard grabs!?

Thanks in advance for taking the problem into account.

Francesco