A11y Summit--Aria Followup

Since we ended last Saturday's Gnome A11y session somewhat early, I
decided to try for an earlier flight home. There wasn't one, so I sat at
the gate at Logan poking around the Logan Airport wifi menus with Orca
and a recent FF3 build. Furthermore, since I was disinclined to spend $8
to go read my email again, I looked mainly at the pages offered for free
at Logan. I came to wish we had Aria enabled already.

1.)	Did someone suggest we need Aria on the desktop? I concur. I was
interrupted every few minutes by my battery applet giving me wildly
inaccurate status reports. Since the applet is so patently inferior to
acpitool on the console, I'll probably simply toss it out--as soon as I
find it, but the real point is that this applet was being rude. The
result of its "rude" Aria level interruptions was that I would lose my
place in other content I was listening to. I never did figure out how to
find my place and resume--I had to start over.

2.)	Does BOS claim to conform to a1`1y web standards? Perhaps they
do--I didn't analyze. However, I found several pages impossible to use,
particularly those that display flight departures/arrivals. While I
didn't check my supposition in the code (or via Lynx), I expect the data
was being updated on the fly--a clear Aria candidate, I suspect. Not
only couldn't I get any data, I couldn't even specify any filters via
their dropdowns.

Sorry I didn't save the URI. But, if you're at Logan, just bring up your
wifi. You'll be there.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.202.595.7777;	sip:janina a11y org

Chair, Open Accessibility	janina a11y org
Linux Foundation		http://a11y.org