[Fwd: [gnome-love] GNOME and GHOP (Google Highly Open Participation)]

Hi All:

I think this presents an excellent opportunity for high school students to become more aware of accessibility as well as help us out with accessibility on GNOME.

In working with Vincent and others on the GHOP stuff over the past few weeks, I was thinking of tasks along the following lines for students:

1) Pick a GNOME application and check it for keyboard traversal issues: is all application functionality accessible from the keyboard?

2) Pick a GNOME application and check it for theming issues (e.g., font, color, etc.) using the high contrast, large print, inverse theme.

3) Pick a GNOME application and attempt to use it with an assistive technology (e.g., GOK, Dasher, Orca, etc.): is the application functionality accessible from the given assistive technology?

As deliverables, the student would log bugs for problems they encountered. In addition, students would certainly be welcome to author short 'cheat sheets' for accessing applications (see http://live.gnome.org/Orca/AccessibleApps for something I hope we can continue to fill out).

The main constraint we're working with is that the tasks need to be relatively straightforward and very well defined. So "pick an app" is not really viable, nor is something like "fix all the audio woes in the world". For example, for the above, we'd need to specify exact applications (e.g., gnome-panel, gnome-search-tool, nautilus, Evolution, etc.). For extra credit, the motivated and precocious high school student could devise ways to automate testing.

The immediate benefits to our community are that we get better testing coverage of GNOME accessibility. The longer term benefits are that we begin exposing tomorrow's professionals to accessibility issues, perhaps fostering growth in an industry where accessibility professionals are so hard to come by.

I'm curious about your thoughts on this. If you think the above is reasonable, let's pick some apps and write some tasks for students.

Will
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

GNOME is participating in a new Summer of Code-like contest: the Google
Highly Open Participation Contest [1]. The goal is to get pre-university
students to contribute to free software projects by completing small
tasks.

You can look at the GNOME page about it [2] to learn a bit more about
all this.

It has been suggested that the gnome-love mailing list is really the
best place to communicate with students, and I think it makes sense:
it's all about helping people contribute.
(To be honest, I'm also thinking we should have used this list instead
of creating the gnome-soc-list one...).

Everybody can propose new tasks for the students so feel free to read
the small guide on how to do so [3].

Thanks,

Vincent

[1] http://code.google.com/opensource/ghop/2007-8