Help Getting Gnome-speech to run Fonix Dectalk 4.6 and Fedora 6

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to compile the Fonix Dectalk 4.6 into the Gnome speech 0.4.9 and when I do this, all appears to go well. However, whenever I try to choose the Dectalk from Orca version 2.17.91 or by testing it with the test-speech command for Gnome speech, there's no output from Dectalk. To be more precise, Orca doesn't even show Dectalk as a choice in its preferences/speech combo box, and test-speech gives me this strange error message about "an unknown failure has occurred, unable to start child process." I've installed the Dectalk driver three times now, and compiled Gnome-speech each time thereafter. Gnome-speech appears to see the Dectalk because it says it is making the dectalk driver, and it says yes that the driver is made, just as it does for Festival, which works fine with Orca and th test-speech module.

I followed the Gnome-speech compiler instructions from the Orca Wiki and later from the Beyond Linux from Scratch web site. If anyone has any suggestions to help me get this up and running, it would be most appreciated. Please feel free to send private email if you wish.

Thanks,

Beth