-----Original Message-----
From: gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gnome-accessibility-list-bounces gnome org]On Behalf Of Willie
Walker
Sent: 17 December 2007 23:47
To: Willie Walker
Cc: gnome-accessibility-list gnome org; Brian Cameron
Subject: Re: Forming an Accessibility Steering Committee

Hi All:

I just want to add a little more to where things are right now.  Here
are a couple URLs where we've done a fair amount of formal work on the
current and future goals for GNOME a11y:

   GNOME Boston 2006 Accessibility Summit:
   http://live.gnome.org/Boston2006/AccessibilitySummit
   (see also http://live.gnome.org/AccessibilityProjects)

   GNOME Boston 2007 Accessibility Summit:
   http://live.gnome.org/Boston2007/AccessibilitySummit

The Mozilla Foundation has also been very gracious in their support for
work such as pyatspi, AT-SPI/DBus investigation, ARIA support in Orca,
Collections work for AT-SPI, etc.  It's all very positive stuff!

For the cross platform and inter-community notions, I think we also need
to be cognizant of the fact that there are other active forums in place.
  For example, the Open A11y Group of the Linux Foundation
(http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Accessibility) has served as a
neutral place where members of the GNOME, KDE, and other communities
have been coming together to discuss these kinds of things.  The
AT-SPI/DBus work being done by Rob Taylor and Mark Doffman, for example,
will be discussed in the Open A11Y meeting tomorrow.

I think a steering committee is a fine idea and I'm happy to help
(perhaps lead?) the group.  For the committee to work best, I think it
needs to include at least users and developers.  The users are key in
helping set the direction of what we need to focus on -- much of Orca's
success, for example, is due to the fact that users are directly
involved.  Based upon the successes of the GNOME Boston Accessibility
Summits, I also think that we need to keep focus on concrete, achievable
tasks.

Will

PS - What I think we really really desperately need at the moment is a
wordsmith/writer than can help us get the http://live.gnome.org/GAP
pages in order.