test-speech returning Unknown CORBA exception while trying to get voice list

Hello,

I saw a few posts about this in the archives, but no good resolutions.

I have a fresh install of Gnome on a Gentoo system... latest stable ebuild.
All of the gnome accessability packages came with it when I installed it.
However, no speech is coming out of Gnopernicus.

test-speech produces no audible output and looks like this:

[kwessel office ~]$ test-speech
1: OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.3
2: OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Speech_Dispatcher:proto0.3

Select a server: 2
Attempting to activate
OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Speech_Dispatcher:proto0.3.
Server could not be initialized.
[kwessel office ~]$ test-speech
1: OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.3
2: OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Speech_Dispatcher:proto0.3

Select a server: 1
Attempting to activate
OAFIID:GNOME_Speech_SynthesisDriver_Festival:proto0.3.

Enter desired gender ('m' or 'f'): m

Enter desired locale, or 'all' to display all voices: all
Exception Unknown CORBA exception id: 'IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0'
getting voice list.

Just for the heck of it, I tried re-emerging gnome-speech, but with the same
results.

Any suggestions? Thanks for any leads anyone can offer. I'm at a loss.

Keith