Re: Starting brltty from ubuntu-powerpc edgy cd with usb-to-serial

Hi again Cheryl.

With the Alva, I cannot get brltty working on its own.  However, I do
get the "screen not in text mode" message.  After setting up Orca and
logging out and back in again, I can get Orca working with the Alva. I'm
hoping you can do the same with your Braille Lite. Give this a try:

1. Boot normally into the live CD.

2. Don't bother starting brltty.  Instead:

3. Start Orca from the run application dialog as you described doing
(i.e. Alt F2, type orca, tab, check the box, and hit enter).  A terminal
window will appear.  Here are the questions:

* Enable echo by word enter Y or N
* Enable key echo enter Y or N
* Enable braille enter Y or N
* Enable braille monitor enter Y or N

After you make all of your choices, you are told that setup is complete,
that you need to log off for the changes to be enabled, and that you
should press Return to continue.

4. Having gone through the setup routine, press Control Alt Backspace to
log off.

5.  Wait.  I'd say about 30 seconds.  You are temporarily brought to the
virtual console.  After a number of seconds, you're brought to a Ubuntu
login screen where you are told that you'll be automatically logged in
after 10 seconds.  After that point, it takes a few seconds for the
GNOME desktop to start....  Your coffee probably needed refreshing
anyway. <silly grin>

6.  Press Alt F2 to get into the run application dialog.  Type
gnome-terminal and press Enter.

7. Start brltty

8. Start Orca by typing orca

At this point <fingers crossed> Orca will talk to your display.

I hope this helps!!!  Let me know.
Joanie