Ubuntu and Orca

Hello all,
I'm trying to use the Ubuntu Edgy 6.10 disk I made, and it's proving *extremely* sluggish. I don't get *any* icons on the desktop, and when I finally am able to get to the first console and type orca, the thing just sits there forever until I finally turn off the computer. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there something awry with the CD? I'd love to get Ubuntu up and running well with accessibility, but haven't had a lot of luck with speech in Gnopernicus, and absolute no luck with Orca.

Thanks,
Terrence