contributing to linux accessability

Assuming I can get linux sorted out on either my desktop PC or my laptop with speech, I am thinking of contributing to Linux accessability at some point. Assuming of course I get a PC running with speech in Gnome without it stopping working when I shut down either my desktop or laptop, how could I go about this if I have no programming knowledge apart from when I used to do some programming in DOS BASIC? Could anyone possibly give me some advice?