Re: Am I best off using the I386 or the 64 bit version of Ubuntu?

If you are using gnome-speech, please keep in mind the availability of
64-bit support for the speech engine you plan to use.  All the open
source ones should work fine (e.g., festival and FreeTTS), but some of
the commercial ones are still only offering 32-bit versions.  This may
have an impact on which version (32-bit vs. 64-bit) of the OS you want
to install.

Will