Re: Flexible multiple AT app configuration

Hi Henrik:

Thanks for doing the mock-up.  I like this idea.

I would suggest adding the 'description' bar (like the one in add/remove applications) to the AT configuration dialog, so the user could see more info about the applications before selecting them for autostart. Do you think we really need "add" and "remove" buttons here? Or would just "configure" and "start", plus the autostart checkbox, be enough? I presume the up/down arrows are for controlling the order in which the ATs start?

I don't really like the idea of removing the ATs from the applications menu altogether though; I think they should still be discoverable and invokable from a submenu of the Applications menu, and I think many users will have grown to expect them there. But I really like this dialog as a way of starting the ATs automatically. Should we retain the "AT support" checkbox, or should AT support be somehow implicit, i.e. if you select orca or LSR at startup should the AT support automagically be turned on as well? (If we decide the answer should be 'yes', then we have the question of when to turn it off...)

I think the 'AT' application type can be set/provided in the .desktop files for the apps, so I'd suggest using the .desktop files to find the installed ATs on a system.

Best regards

Bill

Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
Hi All,

George has written a first version of a tab for Preferred Application where one can select the ATs for different categories and whether they should launch at boot.

Some people have concerns about the classification of ATs (should gnome-mag be launchable from here, is if fair to put Dasher in the 'Other' category by itself, etc.) It seems that a more flexible approach is called for.

Using Ubuntu's Add/Remove Applications as a reference point I started playing with a mock-up of a possible solution.

http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/ubuntu-add-apps.png
http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/flexi-at-conf.png

A scrolling list contains all the ATs installed on the system and a check mark next to it shows whether it starts on boot. The order of the entries can be changed, with the first entry starting first.

Applications installed on the system will appear in the list automatically and the user can add custom applications to the list with the Add button. These can also be removed with the Remove button. For system-installed applications the Remove button is greyed out.

The Start button launches the application directly and the Configure button opens the application configuration window, both if applicable.

Clicking the Add button opens the gnome dialog used to add application launchers to the panel: http://people.ubuntu.com/~henrik/images/add-to-panel.png (or we may need a version with a few extra options like command for config panel)

This is again fairly AT-specific so my inclination would be to place it back under Assistive Technology Preferences instead of Preferred Applications.

Henrik