Re: eSpeak support in Orca -- what is the best way?

Lukas Loehrer wrote:
Willie Walker writes ("Re: eSpeak support in Orca -- what is the best way?"):
We recently looked at making a gnome-speech driver for eSpeak, but the
main problem is that the eSpeak libraries have no facilities for sending
samples to the audio device.  Instead, it relies upon the application to
manage the audio.

I guess this is exactly why something like speech-dispatcher is a very
good idea in the long run because it spares implementers of tts
engines from dealing with the quirks of audio output architectures.
Having written code for speech output with Alsa myself, I know this is
not easy to get right, partly because low latency and instance
interruptibility of playback is important in the tts scenario. Having
this problem solved once and for all in a layer like speech-dispatcher
will give people more time to focus on actual  tts code.
Not sure I agree - the model where the TTS engine delivers its sample to a "third party" for dispatch to the audio subsystem can increase latency, rather than reduce it. I do agree that there are other problems which such an architecture can avoid (for instance audio device contention).

A key requirement is the ability to quickly stop an utterance. This can be difficult with multiple processes in the mix. A corrollary to this is the need for good progress/speech marker support, since in many scenarios one needs to know how much was actually spoken before the interruption took place.

Bill
Best rgards, Lukas