laptop specification

Should my Compaq Presario Laptop be able to run Edgy as Live from the Desktop CD when the process is a intel Celeron 1.30 ghz? Tried to run Orca during bootup, I have tried F5, 3 and enter twice when the drive has paused, before it has paused and even after it has paused but no speech and even running Orca after it boots into Ubuntu Live which seems to work on my desktop PC allbeit it is very sluggish doesn't seem to work. I thought that leaving the drive until it stops spinning after booting into Ubuntu might do it but it hasn't. My Laptop runs Dapper which has been installed on it although the version of Orca I have on it is the one packaged by Luke. It took me ages to get Edgy running as live on the Desktop but what it seems to do is is take a huge amount of time acting on keystrokes and I haven't yet been able to run an application. I am wondering if the Live takes up too much system resources on both forcing the Desktop to perform very slowly even though speech is running and not at all on my Laptop.